Tuesday 4 October 2011

Emedinews:Inspiration:I'm Glad I Got Sick

Twenty-seven years ago I got sick. The reason I can remember the date so well is because being sick is what caused me to choose my future wife. She was just a good friend, but because she came over to my apartment, brought me medicine, and made me breakfast, I thought for the first time "what a super wife she will make for someone."

I took her out to eat in Nashville, Tennessee for helping me get over the flu. After that we became even better friends, but still no thought of marriage. A few months later I was going to take a new job in the Atlanta area with a Community College, so Cathy helped me pack up boxes to get ready to leave. We had a great time that day and had lunch together. Near the end of that day I noticed a few tears in Cathy's eyes, so I asked what was wrong.

She said, "I don't know if I can live without you, you are my best friend." I said, "I know, I've been thinking the same thing." That day we decided to get married and we have been married ever since. We have had our tough times, as many others have had, but we are still BEST FRIENDS!

When I get to the family unit in my Health class and we talk about marriage ...I always tell this story. My students seem to love it because they learn for the first time that giving, sharing and caring about others is all that really matters in life, and that sex, looks, money and other things are secondary.

By the way, my wife is 12 years younger than me, and she is beautiful. Coaches constantly kid her about marrying me; they say she must be blind. We have two beautiful children, but we still have dates on every week-end.

Cathy is the greatest thing (other than becoming a Christian) that has ever happened to me! She is a fantastic mother, and the best wife a coach could ever have. THANK GOD I GOT SICK 27 YEARS AGO!!

(Contributed by Ms Ritu Sinha)

No comments:

Post a Comment